Pentax K1 MKii review

I had the opportunity to test the full frame Pentax K1 mark 2 and here is my short and honest review of this beast.

First impression upon holding it  - this can probably not be broken. It just feels so sturdy and tough. The 24-70mm f/2,8 lens was also built like it could go through anything. That makes you feel like this camera will not fail you no matter where you take it and that is a good thing. Even all the dials and buttons seem unbreakable.
Since it is a dslr it focuses quite quickly and reliably if you don't use the live view function(using live view made the camera hunt for focus a lot longer and couldn't catch it with moving subjects). There was an issue with focusing in the distance while it was raining. It seemed like it was an impossible task for the camera, so I had to switch to manual focusing for that.
The tilty screen was quite handy and the high resolution image it displays made it a joy to review photos. It's also possible to quickly dim the screen or make it brighter to make it more usable for different scenarios. 
The camera is undoubtedly user friendly- it has dedicated lighting for controls if you have to work in the dark often.
You can find all the functions online so I will not go into detail with all that, I will only share my experience with the camera. If you do get any questions - leave a comment and I will try to answer them if I'll know how.

I really liked the star tracking function that helps taking longer exposure night shots without stars leaving trails- if you get this camera that is something you should definitely try out.

Image quality is great, since it has this FF sensor and 36 Megapixels - that takes some stress away while shooting quickly, because you can crop the pictures after and still get decent size prints in great quality. Bringing out the shadows in post revealed that you can easily bring out about 2 to 3 stops without worries. The dynamic range is also excellent.

The downsides would be: it being a little slow when it comes to shooting a lot of frames per second, so I wouldn't recommend it for sports shooters. It is heavy and big as well, so street photography would also probably not be the best use for this Pentax. It is great for landscape though. I will add some images below of different scenes.
The picture of the little room with the couch was shot with ISO 64000 and I wouldn't say that it has no noise, but I would definitely say that it has substantially less noise than I expected.
All and all it is a great camera, but not one that I would buy for myself and I don't think that Pentax did all they could to compete in the market today. It just isn't the best camera you can get in this price point at this time. It has something for everyone - it even has a ISO priority mode- who uses that? There are so many options crammed in this camera that it would suit the needs of almost anyone, but it just doesn't do all of them as well as the competition.
Btw the lenses I got to try were the Pentax 24-70 f/2,8 and a Pentax 100mm f/2,8 macro lens - the macro lens was super sharp, great lens. The zoom lens however had some vignetting issues at wider angles, but otherwise a very versatile lens.




Comments