Fujifilm X -T20 review

I have to start by saying that this is my first experience with Fujifilm cameras and I had it for a very limited time. I didn't have a lot of time to fool around with the options menu and I didn't read the instruction manual, so this will not be an in depth review,but rather a small first impressions kind of post.
I got 2 different lenses to try, one being the XF 90mm f/2 and the other XF 14mm f/2.8. I have to say the camera and lenses had changed hands quite a bit before I got them and the 14mm lens looked like it had been dropped before. I don't think that affected the performance or image quality at all, but I do believe that the noises I heard from the lenses could be a result of previous abuse. Nonetheless everything worked perfectly fine and I could get some great images.
There were only a few things I disliked and I think I should start with those.
1. The small grip. This camera has such a tiny grip that after carrying it around for an hour or two, I already started to feel my hand cramping up a bit (especially with the heavier 90mm lens). I guess that might not be a problem if you use the neck strap for most of the time and only take a few travel photos, but if you plan on doing a photoshoot or anything else that makes you hand hold it- you will want more grip.
2. The tripod mount place is not centered- I'm guessing that the small form factor was the reason they just couldn't physically fit it in the center and didn't want to leave it without the chance to mount it and it resulted in it being in an awkward position. 
3. This is just nitpicking, but it just didn't feel like a camera that is worth that much money. I'm not talking about the performance or image quality, but just the quality and feel of the dials. But I could say the same about sony APSC cameras as well (like the a6000, a6500). 

But there was way more to like. 
1. The easy access main settings- everything is there to reach in seconds. A lot of pro cameras from different manufacturers can't do what this can do :) 
2. It's light and compact making it a great travel camera- I didn't have a pancake lens to use with it, but I am sure it could fit in a coat pocket if fitted with one. Amazing for street photos as well. 
3. The colors in the pictures. After waling around with it for a while and taking some snapshots I realised that for most of the shots, I could use the jpegs this little guy produced. 
4. The battery life. I might be the only one who reviews this camera and actually has something good to say about this. I had seen so many complaints about the battery that I was extra careful and swotched the camera off after every shot if I knew I will need more than 20 seconds between shots and it turned out I didn't need to. If you don't plan to shoot all day and make hundreds of photos, you'll proebe fine with just one battery (if you use it carefully). But I guess I would still feel safer with an extra one or two in my pocket if I knew I would have to take a lot of pictures. (if you do weddings of something similar - you absolutely have to have more than 3 batteries with you if you include the one in the camera). 
All and all I really liked it and my first experience with Fujifilm was a positive one. 
I will not comment anything more about this camera, but if you have any questions- ask away and I'll doy best to answer. 
I will make a first impressions post about the new Fujifilm X T3 pretty soon as well. 

Comments